by Andy Stenz Photography
—1038 N. 4th
history dates back to 1882, when the venue first opened its doors.
Designed by famed German architect Henry C. Koch, it served as a
gathering place for the Milwaukee’s large German population — a
safe haven where cultural and political attitudes could be expressed
freely. The Victorian-style building, which is said to resemble a
European cathedral, survived two major fires and has since undergone
serious restoration efforts. The Pabst Theater Group assumed
operations for Turner Hall in 2007, and the ballroom’s use as a
wedding venue has grown tremendously, from just six weddings in 2011
to 55 weddings in 2014. The ballroom sits 300 comfortably or 400 with
use of the balcony.
County Historical Center
by Heather Cook Elliott Photography
County Historical Center
— 910 N. Old
World 3rd St.
Operated by the
Milwaukee County Historical Society, the Milwaukee County Historical
Center was originally built as a Second Ward Savings Bank in 1913. Its
origin as a financial facility lends to its distinctive features,
which include vintage bank vault doors, marble columns and gold leaf
accents. Plus, the center’s affiliation with the historical society,
an organization that collects artifacts and archival documents in an
effort to preserve Milwaukee’s rich history, grants guests the
opportunity to view these historic pieces throughout the event.
Maximum capacity is 350 for a seated dinner, and the center’s
proximity to Pere Marquette Park provides an outdoor ceremony
by Front Room Photography
— 225 E.
Exchange room is located inside the Mackie Building, which was
constructed in 1879 to house the Milwaukee Chamber of Commerce. The
first of its kind in the country, the Grain Exchange room functioned
as a trading room — a place where merchants could buy and sell
harvests. The walls and ceiling are lined with hand-painted frescoes,
and limestone and granite are incorporated throughout the room’s
Italian-inspired architecture. A complete restoration of the venue was
completed in 1983, and in 2008, the Bartolotta Catering Company &
Events became its exclusive caterer. The room accommodates up to 500
guests. Use of the expansive balcony is also included.
by Mark Bertieri
— 901 W.
Located on the
grounds of the historic Pabst Brewery, Best Place’s history runs
deep. Its primary venue, The Great Hall, was built in 1880 and is
located in the former accounting offices of Pabst’s original
corporate headquarters. The hall also includes the former office of
Captain Frederick Pabst. The space’s Old World touches (think
wood-paneled walls and wrought iron chandeliers) add to its warmth,
and the back bar is from Cristanelli’s Saloon in Michigan, a bar
that was rumored to be frequented by Henry Ford and Thomas Edison. The
venue seats up to 300 guests and includes use of the outdoor courtyard
Imperial Ballroom at The Pfister Hotel
The Grand and
Imperial Ballrooms at The Pfister Hotel
— 424 E.
Hotel proved its worth as an historically rich wedding venue last
summer, when the hotel hosted its first-ever fourth-generation wedding
in the Grand Ballroom. Many famous people have stayed at the hotel
since its 1893 inception, including every president since William
McKinley. It offers not one, but two wedding venues — the
Victorian-designed Imperial Ballroom and the more expansive Grand
Ballroom. The Pfister also houses the largest collection of Victorian
art found in any hotel in the world, with many pieces on display
throughout both ballrooms. The Imperial Ballroom can accommodate up to
300 guests, and the Grand Ballroom can seat a maximum of 600 guests.