Humane Society blames lead bullets for bald eagle death

 

December 20, 2014

MILWAUKEE One bald eagle has died and another is in serious condition in Wisconsin after ingesting lead from ammunition.

The Wisconsin State Journal (http://bit.ly/1sPXazx) reports the Dane County Humane Society has treated two bald eagles with lead poisoning in the past two weeks. The birds likely swallowed lead while feeding on deer or other wildlife carcasses that had been shot, or by eating waterfowl that had ingested lead.

The first bald eagle survived only a day after it was brought into a Humane Society facility last week with acute lead poisoning. The Humane Society hopes a second bird found Friday will survive.

The Humane Society urges hunters to recover animals they've shot and to use ammunition without lead, like copper bullets.

 


Associated Press