gmtoday_small.gif

 


If you’re traveling to Mexico, think twice about drinking this soda

October 2, 2017


Soda contaminated with methamphetamine is to blame for the death of one person and the intoxication of six others in Mexico, according to the attorney general in Baja, Calif.

A 37-year-old man died after ingesting the soda, and six others — ages 19 to 65 — have gotten sick, the attorney general said in a Facebook post.

Banner Health in Arizona said people should be vigilant when traveling to Mexico.

"It is important to check that the seal for any food and drink consumed is still intact and show no signs of tampering," said Daniel Brooks, Banner Poison and Drug Information Center medical director in a news release. "If you notice any difference in color, taste or smell, throw it out."

None of the 7 Up products sold in the United States are affected, said Chris Barnes, corporate communications director for Dr Pepper Snapple Group, which owns and licenses 7 Up in the U.S.

The contaminated soda, 7 Up, has been removed from all establishments in the Baja area, according to the Director of Protection Against Health Risks in Mexico, Leopoldo Jiménez Sánchez.

Side-effects from the soft drink contamination can present suddenly and may result in life-threatening illness. Symptoms may include:

— Irritation of, or abnormal taste in, the mouth our throat

— Burning to the esophagus or abdomen

— Nausea or vomiting

— Difficulty breathing

— Fast or irregular heartbeat

Anyone who suspects they may have consumed a contaminated drink should contact the Poison Control Center at 800-222-1222.

 

 


McClatchy-Tribune Information Services