First Bank Financial Centre turns 160

News Graphic Staff

March 5, 2019

OCONOMOWOC — First Bank Financial Centre celebrates its 160th anniversary in 2019.

Headquartered in Oconomowoc – with area branches in Mequon and Grafton – FBFC’s history dates back before President Lincoln took office, before the Great Depression, the world wars, film, radio and definitely before TV. The bank has been making lives better in the communities it serves through its banking and lending programs, charitable giving and volunteerism, according to a news release.

“Turning 160 is not an anniversary most businesses, let alone banks, get to enjoy. We are incredibly proud to say we’ve reached this milestone and hope our customers and communities will join us in celebrating,” said Mark W. Mohr, president and CEO of FBFC.

First Bank Financial Centre opened as Summit Bank in 1859. The bank started with $25,000 in capital. It has grown to include 14 branches throughout southeast Wisconsin, six loan offices and more than $1 billion in assets. Its 300+ employees contribute nearly 15,000 volunteer hours to nearly 450 local organizations each year, the news release added.

The commitment from its employees to improve and serve its local communities is showcased by the numerous accolades FBFC has received in recent years. These include:

■ 2018 Economic Development Of Ozaukee County Business of the Year

■ Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Top Workplace for nine consecutive years

■ American Banker Magazine’s Best Banks to Work for in 2016, 2017 and 2018

■ Top 10 nationwide for Small Business Associaton 504 lending

■ Wisconsin Bankers Association Excellence in Financial Education awards

■ 2017 Grafton Area Chamber of Commerce’s Outstanding Business of the Year This sense of purpose in the community has long been part of FBFC’s makeup, the news release added. As Summit Bank, it was the community’s first bank, 15 years before Oconomowoc became a city. It adopted the new name, Bank of Oconomowoc, in 1889, staying in the community it had served for 30 years at this point. In 1963, the bank remodeled a local building to become the state’s first TV drive-in auto bank, before moving from its corner location to the current headquarters on Wisconsin Avenue in 1985. For more information on FBFC’s anniversary events, visit the bank online at FBFCWI.com/160.