Unemployment declines in all stateís major cities

Freeman Staff

March 29, 2019

WAUKESHA ó The number of people unemployed declined in all of Wisconsinís 33 largest cities in February, according to data released Thursday by the Department of Workforce Development.

The largest decreases occurred in Greenfield, Manitowoc and West Allis by 0.8 percent.

West Bendís rate decreased by 0.1 percent to 3 percent compared to January and 0.2 percent compared to February 2018.

In Waukesha, it also dropped 0.1 percent for a total of 2.9 percent in February compared to 3 percent in January and 3.2 percent last February.

Milwaukee had a little more significant decline in February ó ending with a rate of 3.9 percent. The cityís rate was 4.2 percent in January and 4.4 percent in February 2018.

According to the DWD, preliminary February 2019 unemployment rates declined in all 12 metro areas over the year. The Green Bay metro area declined by 0.6 percent, the largest over the year decrease of all 12 metro areas.

For the Milwaukee-Waukesha-Ozaukee-Washington counties metro area, the rate was 3.2 percent in February, compared to 3.4 percent in January and 3.6 percent in February 2018.

Preliminary February 2019 unemployment rates declined or stayed the same over the year in 68 of Wisconsinís 72 counties, according to the DWD.

Waukesha County had an unemployment rate of 2.7 percent last month, compared to 2.9 percent in January and 3.1 percent in February 2018.

For Washington County, the unemployment rate was 2.7 percent in February, compared to 2.9 percent in January and 3.1 percent last February.

Milwaukee County recorded an unemployment rate of 3.5 percent in February, 3.8 percent in January and 4 percent in February 2018. In Ozaukee County, the rate was 2.6 percent last month, 2.7 percent in January and 2.8 percent in February 2018.