all over the country are afraid their animals will
contract a newly emerging virus that was recently
diagnosed in animals in Ohio and a few other states. Iíve
heard from many of you asking how to protect your
healthy dogs from this horrible disease.
many of you say you have animals with symptoms that are
similar to those produced by this virus, I thought it
would be important to point out that there are lots of
other illnesses that can mimic the circovirus.
may diligently keep your dog away from other dogs at the
local dog park and it still can get sick.
truth is, sometimes the most dangerous place in the
world for your dog is your own backyard.
is a 4-month-old black Labrador retriever who got sick
after eating a strange-looking fungus growing in her
fungi, commonly known as toadstools or mushrooms, can be
toxic to both cats and dogs that ingest them.
the term used for poisoning by food products
contaminated by fungi ó which can include moldy bread,
cheese, English walnuts or even backyard compost ó is
as toxic to animals as it is to humans, according to
from ingesting mycotoxins include muscle tremors,
seizures, panting, hyperactivity, vomiting,
uncoordinated movements, weakness, increased heart rate
and body temperatures, dehydration and lack of appetite.
severity and type of symptoms depend on the type of
fungi the animal has ingested.
Macyís case, she was lucky her symptoms, which
included vomiting, lack of appetite and lethargy, were
mild and lasted only a few days.
many cases, pets that have been poisoned by fungi may
need to be hospitalized, receive fluids intravenously
and have their stomachs pumped.
you suspect your pet has been poisoned by a mushroom,
moldy food or decomposing organic matter, you will need
to provide your veterinarian with information regarding
the onset and nature of the symptoms. He or she may need
to perform a complete physical exam, a biochemistry
profile, urinalysis and blood work or even more advanced
reports the overall prognosis for an animal that gets
immediate medical attention is good. Most animals
recover in 24-48 hours, but some may recover more
slowly, and take weeks to subside.
toads when eaten are also poisonous to animals.
toads have lumps on the back of their heads. These lumps
are glands that produce a chemical substance that tastes
horrible when ingested. When toads feel threatened, they
release the toxin that is absorbed by the membranes in
the animalís mouth, but it can also enter the eyes and
cause vision problems.
toads indigenous to Ohio, the Fowlerís toad and the
American toad, are among the less poisonous ones, but
still toxic enough to kill a medium-size dog if it were
to eat one.
are more active during periods of warm, humid weather.
And because they are omnivores, they will eat insects
and small rodents and pet food left outdoors.
which will appear a few seconds after ingestion, may
include: crying or vocalization, pawing the mouth or
eyes, profuse drooling, change in color of the mouth
tissue, difficulty breathing, unsteady movements,
seizures, high temperature and collapse.
flush the animalís mouth with water for 5-10 minutes
to avoid continued absorption into the membranes.
the animal to a veterinarian hospital as quickly as
possible so he or she can monitor the severity of the
symptoms and reduce the likelihood of death.
abnormalities are common and you will need a vet to
monitor the situation and provide drugs to keep the
animalís heart rhythm normal. He or she will also need
to monitor the animalís temperature. The vet may also
need to give the animal pain medication.