WAUKESHA

Robert Lussow

Sept. 15, 1925 Ė Sept. 23, 2010
 

Robert Lussow, of Waukesha, passed away peacefully Thursday, Sept. 23, 2010, at Angels-Grace Hospice at the age of 85. Bob was born Sept. 15, 1925, in Milwaukee, to Hugo and Emma (nee Zastrow) Lussow.

He was a 1943 graduate of Washington High School, where he lettered in football, basketball and track. Upon graduation, he was drafted and was enlisted in the U.S. Navy Air Corps. During the war, he felt privileged to have attended the University of Notre Dame, the University of California-Berkeley and Missouri State Teachers College. Following the war, he attended Great Lakes Naval Academy and played on the football team under the late great coach Paul Brown. Bob remembers at the first meeting Coach Brown saying, "Gentleman, football is 95 percent heart and Iíll teach you the other 5 percent."

Bob graduated from Marquette University with a bachelorís degree in business administration. After graduation, he moved to Green Bay and worked for the Green Bay Press Gazette in advertising. He later became a registered representative with Loewi and Company and opened the first investment office in Waukesha on South Street in 1955. He retired in 1975 as a vice president. He later became a salesman with Northern Gases, Amerigas and AGA Gases. At the time of his death, he was associated with American Cylinder Gases.

Bob was a longtime member of the YMCA, St. Markís Evangelical Lutheran Church and Hi Mount Rover Boys. He was an avid reader and loved football. Bob and his family spent many fun weekends showing his champion white bull terrier, Rocky.

He is survived by his beloved wife of 61 years, Caroline (nee Muench). He was the proud father of Robert W. Lussow, William E. Lussow, Jackie (Jim) Suchocki and Leigh Ann (Pat) Collins and his pride and joy were his grandsons, Jake, Danny and Ryan Suchocki. He is further survived by his sisters-in-law, Mary Matusin and Elizabeth Wagner; his brother-in-law, Arthur Muench; and nieces, nephews, other relatives and friends.

Visitation will take place from 3 p.m. until the 6 p.m. funeral service Monday, Sept. 27, at St. Markís Evangelical Lutheran Church, 424 Hyde Park Ave., Waukesha, WI 53188. Private burial will be at Graceland Cemetery.

Memorials may be made to AngelsGrace Hospice, W359-N7430 Brown St., Oconomowoc, WI 53066; or St. Markís Evangelical Lutheran Church (address above).

For further information, please call Randle-Dable Funeral, Cremation and Preplanning Services at 547-4035, or go to www.waukeshafunerals.com to leave an online tribute.